‘It was misunderstanding’, Shakib claims

REF:  Shakib Al Hasan has explained his trip to Barbados to play Caribbean Premier League (CPL) without a No-Objection Certificate on his return home as per the BCB directive.

Shakib+Al+Hasan

He claimed it was a case of misunderstanding.The board had earlier asked Shakib to return home after he had left for West Indies without the board’s permission.


The all-rounder was in London, from where he returned home on Sunday, on his way to Barbados.“Tamim and I took NOC for the Lord’s bicentenary celebration game. I thought it was the same NOC for CPL. I had applied for the NOC for Big Bash League,” he said.

Afterwards, the board’s Cricket Operations Manager Sabbir Khan informed Shakib that it was not the NOC for the CPL, according to him.Sabbir then told Shakib to speak to acting chief executive Nizamuddin Chowdhury.

“I called Sujon bhai (Nizamuddin Chowdhury) but he was perhaps on a flight to Malaysia. He told me to talk to Akram bhai (BCB’s cricket operations chairman Akram Khan).“I had talked to him but he couldn’t sign the papers as he was not in Dhaka then.”

“He said ‘leave the NOC with Sabbir, I will sign it. Go to CPL, play well’. This is what happened.”

“I had left on his words. It’s true it would have been better if the papers were signed. I’ve never thought that these things could come this far.”

Shakib said he had tried to get the NOC from London.“As the coach gave me the permission to play until July 31, I had sent a mail from London saying sorry and requesting the NOC. But I was informed that the NOC will not be issued and I have to come back immediately.

“I caught the next flight and arrived today.”

Though he is not sure whether he will get the NOC for CPL, the former national skipper plans to sort out everything with the board President Nazmul Hassan.

“If I am given permission, I will go, if not, no problem, I’ll practise here.”The BCB boss earlier criticised Shakib after he opted to play in the CPL without an NOC.

The all-rounder cleared his stance on his departure even after being told to stay. “When Sabbir bhai called me, I was on my way. He told me that I was told in an e-mail not to go (to CPL).”

“Then I called Sujon bhai, but could not reach him. Called Akram bhai, but he also didn’t answer the phone. As it was early morning, I didn’t want to disturb Papon bhai (BCB President). So, I called him later.”

Shakib also said he had apologised to head coach Chandika Hathurusingha for the spat they had had. He had threatened to retire from Test and ODI.

He had wanted to stay in the West Indies until the end of the CPL (August 16) and join the Bangladesh team in the West Indies before the first ODI on Aug 20.

But Hathurusingha wanted him to play until July 30 and return to Dhaka and join the Bangladesh team.”I was angry and I said a few things that I shouldn’t have, but I said sorry and he accepted that as well.”

“Because I was on a flight for ten hours I couldn’t speak to him any further and that’s why he probably complained in a mail to the BCB.

 

Leave a Reply