A fire at a kitchen market in Old Dhaka has left at least one man dead, officials say.
Bangshal Police Station officer-in-charge Jamir Uddin said the fire broke out at Naya Bazar DIT market during early hours on Sunday when the man, identified as Deen Islam, was asleep inside his grocery shop.
Islam, 25, who hailed from Nandail of Mymensingh, was the owner of the shop.
The police official said Islam’s body was found around 7:00 am after the fire fighters left the scene. The blaze gutted over 40 shops.
He said a good number of cattle kept for slaughtering were also burnt.
Fire control room official Shahzadi Sultana told bdews24.com by phone that 12 fire units worked to control the blaze.
Fire fighter Khetab Ali was hospitaised as he fell sick for smoke inhalation during the operations, she said.
Details of the cause of the fire could not be determined immediately but initial assessment said it was originated from an electricity short-circuit, according to Sultana.